Tuesday, July 1, 2014

where did you go, june?

I had a mini panic attack today! Can y'all believe today is the last day of June? Where does the time go?  Apparently, time goes to the beach, which is where we have been!
Jaden has been begging (and I mean begging) to go to Pounders Beach, so he could get appropriately pounded by huge waves.  On Saturday, we finally decided to appease him and headed to the town of La'ie, which is on the North Shore but on the eastern side.  It was about an hour drive but it was so beautiful!  We drove through the mountains, passed a macadamia nut farm, and saw Chinaman's Hat.
When we arrived, I was told that we weren't exactly at Pounders Beach, but instead, we were at Hukilau Beach.  Jaden didn't know the difference and I liked the name better, so we went with it.  Jaden hit the water immediately, while Chris and I set up our camp.
After a couple of hours, Jaden got bored of boogie boarding and Chris got tired of hanging out with me, so they started wrestling.  This is the order of events of their WWE session... and boys are weird.
While the boys were doing their thing, I started talking to a couple of locals.  I'm not much of a chatty cathy, but this is what caught my attention.
Aren't they adorable?  Meet Koa and Bo, pitbull puppies.  (Delilah, don't worry, you're still my favorite!)  Their owner told us the real name of the beach that we were on and advised us to go check out the Hukilau Cafe.  Does that name sound familiar?  It's the cafe that they filmed the movie "50 First Dates". I took a picture of Jaden in front of the cafe.  When we got home, I researched it a bit more, and read that it wasn't the exact location but they paid the cafe a specific amount of money to use their name.  I need to watch the movie again so I can double check.
Yesterday (Sunday), we finally went to a new beach!  We went to Makapu'u Beach, which is very close to the lighthouse.  Our child is seriously a water rat and spent about 5 hours in the water.  It was such a beautiful beach, I couldn't blame him.  The waves were huge and the water was warm.  This place could quickly become one of my favorites.  Below are some pictures of the day...




 Today, we spent a low key day at Kailua.  Jaden didn't swim/boogie board as much as he normally does.  He improvised pretty well, though.
Tomorrow is Chris' birthday and he wants to go to the North Shore.  I'll post pictures of our next adventure later.  Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment